Tuesday, March 29, 2011

At the Beginning Again

Alas playing "catch-up" for a lost of words at which I still feel I am, but I have to do what I have to do. So to begin again:


Midsummer Night's Dream


Why Act 5?


I theorized that Shakespeare added Act 5 for:


Reason 1. I believe that he was satirizing the rest of the play. The mechanics of the play put on a horrible performance of Pyramus and Thisbe which is the myth that Romeo and Juliet is thus based off and the inverse of said play is *bells rings* Midsummer Night's Dream. It is based off of all the misinterpretations of what happened during the course of the play. During the night spent in the woods.


Reason 2.To encompass the idea of Dreams. (Freud would be so proud) At the beginning of Act 5 Thesus doesn't believe the lover's story of what happened in the "woods." He believes they are fables made for little kids; however, Hippolyta retorts by saying it was the same dream how can it not be truth. Towards the end Puck throws this out to the audience if we offended anyone then it was all just a dream.


I enjoy the idea of maybe it was all a dream. I wrote a short "soap opera" story for my friend in high school. She was the main character. She is bonked on the head and discovers she has ESP. Later she finds her boyfriend killed his mother and brother. The phone begins ringing right before the "final blow" because she had discovered his secret but she wakes up. Her dream boyfriend is leaning over her asking what is wrong. She said it was a dream and nothing more, but asks him where his mother and brother are. He replies with the same answer from the dream and in the background the phone begins to ring. And what a coincidence my friends name is Miranda.

No comments:

Post a Comment